International registrants should be particularly aware and careful about visa requirements, and should plan travel well in advance.
The UK Government provides guidance on entry to the UK on its website which can be found here.
There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The current rules on travel to the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period. New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.
Requesting Visa Support Letters
Please note that the Association for Computing Machinery does not issue formal invitation letters for visas to attend ACM sponsored conferences.
As part of the visa application process, you may be required to provide a visa support letter. ACM is able to provide visa support letters to attendees as well as authors with accepted papers, posters, or members of the conference committee.
To request a visa support letter, register for the conference and then email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The request should include the following information:
- Your name as it appears on your passport
- Your current postal mailing address
- The name of the conference you wish to attend (“ACM WebSci 2020”)
- Your Registration Confirmation Number
- If you have any papers accepted for the conference, please provide the title and indicate whether you are the “sole author” or a “co-author”
- A fax number or email address of where the letter can be sent
Visa support letter requests are handled in the order they are received. You should allow 7-10 business days to receive it.
Please note that support letters will only be sent to participants who have registered and paid for the conference. Should participants withdraw from the conference after the issuance of a support letter, the consulate will be notified of the withdrawal accordingly.